Monday, December 1, 2014

Elder Bednar!!!

I only have about a half hour to email this week, so this is going to have to be shorter than I'd like it to be.

But I got to see Preston Fredrick this week!!! :) It's indescribably comforting to see someone from back home. Spending so much time with companions is cool and all, but there is a difference between "getting along" with a companion and having a "Love you man" relationship with someone, like I do with Preston. I was beyond overjoyed. And he gave me an empanada from home, so thank you to whoever sent that to him. :) delicious.

They same day, I got to hear Elder Bednar speak!!! :) It was spectacular. You can't really tell from listening to him in conference, but he is actually a very funny, relaxed, personable, cool guy! He treated it more like a discussion. Which went over really well. :) He really had a way of making sure nobody was ever put on the spot, nobody felt stupid, everyone was excited to give responses and ask questions, but he introduced it all in a way that kept people from speaking up "just to get speaking time" or just to "sound impressive". So I enjoyed that. He is a very talented speaker, and I took a lot of notes.
A couple cool points are:
1. There's nothing less impressive than trying to be impressive
2. Never ask questions when you have a "correct answer" in mind.
3. Be an agent, not an object. And allow others to do the same.

Super good stuff.

The area is going good.  Guardados are doing alright, but the mom is pretty sick still. None of our investigators came to church, even though most of them said they would... :(

And finally, today I took a tour of Alkatraz!!! WHOO. it was awesome. Such a cool experience. Hopefully I can attach pictures of everything pretty soon.

Love you all!


Elder Webster

No comments:

Post a Comment