Sunday, November 8, 2015

This Week Went "Well"

The subject line is a pun... but let me explain.

This was my first week with my new companion, Elder Wells! I know him a little bit better than before. He's from Nebraska, he's been out for 23 months, he like to read and spends most of his free time reading or listening to conference talks. He's also a very intelligent person, just in terms of practicality and strategy.  I feel that our week together has been a very focused and productive week! He's very non-confrontational, so I can't imagine us getting in a fight or anything. plus, we usually just tend to agree on stuff because it's the most logical thing to do anyway! :) I actually like him a lot. We're gunna kill this transfer. Plus, he likes Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, and Psych. Soooo... we tight.

I don't know what to write about. I have some bad news though.... :(  a couple weeks ago, we set like 4 baptismal dates. But none of those investigators are on track to get baptized when they said they would. SOOO... That's a little upsetting. One of them actually ran away drunk to Hayward and no one has seen him since. So... We had to drop him. It's been a bit depressing. I guess that's what you get for serving in the most liberal city in the world!

One thing Elder Wells and I trying to work on is teaching clearly and simply.

I remember one time at a "Bring-your-son/daughter-to-work-day", they did an activity where one person draws a picture. (something simple like an apple tree) and then explains to his partner how to draw that same picture. It's harder than you would think because you have to take into account much more than you'd think when you want someone to understand something the way you understand it. For instance: The color of the trunk/leaves/apples. How many apples? The placement of the apples? the size of the apples? the thickness of the trunk. The trunk/leaf ratio. The thickness of the ink you used. The placement of the tree on the paper. ETC. It can be hard to explain yourself clearly enough for someone to understand EXACTLY what you are imagining in your head. Even more so with abstract concepts like the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Elder Wells is a very smart person. We have been working on finding the balance between explaining things CLEARLY and explaining things SIMPLY. We actually used that activity^^ in one of our companionship studies. :) I guess Bring your kid to work day WAS spiritually significant. Thanks dad. haha

Anyway, that's what I got for the week. Thanks a lot for the emails!

If you want to make me a happy Elder, you would send me a video blog of a funny story or a life update. Ethan sent me one this week, and I loved it. :)


Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment